Wednesday 6 August 2008

Possibly the most uncomfortable experience of my life...

...a hernia repair under local anaesthetic...

It wasn't pain, as such, just VERY uncomfortable, being pressed, pulled and prodded.

Try as I might, I could not properly relax. I tried to breathe slowly and deeply, though instinct was telling me to hold my breath.

I wanted to close my eyes and let sleep take me over, but there was no chance of that.

A child on a car journey asks, "are we nearly there yet?" to be told "not far now". I was being told that the job was "nearly done" - though I could see a clock - another ten minutes passed, and I was still being
pressed, pulled and prodded.

At last the final sewing up was undertaken accompanied by the surgeon singing along to the Rolling Stones on the operating theatre CD player. "We haven't left anything inside" he joked. I was soon wheeled off to the recovery ward.

Now, some 30 hours later, I am back home and feeling unexpectedly well. I have very little discomfort, and am looking forward to being fully active again in a few weeks time.

Big thanks to David Sedgwick, consultant surgeon, the theatre team, the recovery team, and all the other staff at The MacKinnon Memorial Hospital, Broadford, Isle of Skye, for the cheerful and willing care I was given during my brief stay. The happy and friendly atmosphere at the hospital provides a relaxing start on the road to recovery.

2 comments:

Sara Sawers said...

Ooooo - remind me to never get a hernia. The thought of having it sewn up under local anaesthetic makes me squeal. Well done for getting through it all and glad you feel so well now!

I was invited to Cowes Week yesterday (just for the afternoon/evening). I've been before and, as I thought I would be too busy, declined. As it happens, I made a good choice as the weather was dull (though not wet) and today a whole load of people came in to the office with BIG hangovers. I felt quite smug!

Life here plods on - I would LOVE to be able to garden in such beautiful surroundings as you have - it all looks fab, in the sunny photos you have posted. It feels like it has been a bit of a grey summer to me - maybe I've just missed the sunny bits. I still hope that when we are in a position to move from here (heaven knows when that will be!) that we can find a nice quiet place with a beautiful garden that I can potter in. Who knows, I might even make some homemade wine again one day! Remember our efforts years ago?!

Ah well, I need to do a bit more work now but the sun is shining so that makes me feel a bit more cheerful.

TTFN

Richard Dorrell said...

Hi Sara,

Good to hear from you on the blog.
Didn't you know? The sunny bits of this summer have mostly been on Skye...

And as to the home made wine... oh yes, I remember...