Saturday 17 July 2010

Visit to A&E

I clumsily managed to stab myself in the palm of my left hand with a kitchen knife today. I was just completing the 'turn round' at Aird View, so as I had to come through Portree on my way home, I thought I would pop into the hospital there to have it looked at.

I managed to drive more or less one-handed, stopping the bleeding by pressing my left thumb onto the cut.

A&E was completely deserted and as quiet as a grave. There was a huge handbell on the desk, with a sign 'ring for attention'. I reckon everyone within 20 miles would hear that bell if it were shaken in earnest! Portree was saved from a loud clanging as a nurse happened to pass by. I explained why I was there, and she pointed me to a seat and said she'd tell the Staff Nurse.

I had barely sat down before the Staff Nurse appeared and immediately took my details. Then I was whisked off to a treatment room and examined. 'I think I'll get the doctor to look at this, I'm not very expert with hand wounds' says the Staff Nurse. 'Wait there'.

Not thirty seconds later, the Staff Nurse reappears with the doctor. The doc is very pleasant, and makes a thorough examination of my hand. Apparently I am fortunate not to have damaged any tendons or nerves. He tells me,  'I rather like stitching, but if you are not doing anything vigorous for a few days, you'll probably be OK if we glue you and use a few steri-strips'.

With that, Staff Nurse sets to work with assorted bits of tissues, wipes, and sticky things. 'I'll bandage it up, to make it look impressive, but when all this falls off, just stick a plaster over it' I am told.

And that's it. I was in the hospital a total of maybe 10 minutes.

How long did your last visit to A&E take?

4 comments:

Jill said...

Ouch! Hope it heals up quickly.

I gather that A&E stands for accident and emergency, not arts and entertainment? ;) Here we just call it the emergency room.

Anonymous said...

Just one of the many benefits of a sparse population Richard, here in Portsmouth an A and E trip can literally take all day.
Having said that, when I stupidly put my hand under a running lawn mower a couple of years back, they were pretty quick to react when I displayed the damage to the nurse on arrival.....
Hope the hand recovers soon!
Regards,
Nick

Richard Dorrell said...

Hi Jill, Thanks! Arts and Entertainment? Well, I guess dressing and bandaging a wound is something of an art, and even moderately entertaining! We used to call A&E 'Casualty' - don't know why it was changed.

Hi Nick - yes, sparse population PLUS the NHS Scotland, which in our experience is a much more efficient organisation that the English version.

Worcestershire Turnip said...

Sorry to hear that Richard. The last time I had to go to A & E was fortunately many years ago, and it involved waiting for many many hours. Not a pleasant experience in any way.