Thursday 7 June 2012

Allotment news - It's bean a disaster...

What has happened to my runner beans?


They were fine when I transplanted them from their pots. They all had plenty of root growth, but about a week from being planted out, they started looking sick. I watered them, thinking that the dry weather was upsetting them, but they just continued to wither. It's not the planting out that has caused the problem, as I have seven or eight plants still in pots that I didn't have room for, and they have withered too.

Could we have had a cold enough night for them to have been nipped by a touch of frost???

Anyway, they are still standing up, so I am hopeful that there is enough life in the roots and stems for them to put on some new leaves and recover.

I'll keep you updated!

2 comments:

Jill said...

Oh my! They don't look too happy. I hope they'll rally for you.

Richard Dorrell said...

Thanks Jill. They are still all standing, and I *think* they may be starting to grow some new leaves... trouble is I go to check them so often. I can't really tell if they look any different!