Friday 10 August 2012

Camper vans.... can someone please explain???

Please don't get me wrong - we love every visitor who comes to the Isle of Skye  whether they arrive on foot, on a bike or in a Ferrari. We hope they will all go back home telling everyone they meet what a wonderful place they have been on holiday.

However, very many visitors to the island seem to choose to arrive in a camper van, and we welcome them too...but...

Will someone put me right me if I am completely incorrect, but my take on these vehicles is:
  • They cost an eye watering amount of money to buy
  • They are slow
  • They use huge quantities of fuel
  • They don't go round corners too well
  • They are too big for narrow single track roads
  • They are too big to park in normal car parks
And then, once you've got your camper van to your chosen camp site, you park alongside several dozen other camper vans, with BBQs smoking and children running about, and enjoy the view past the other vans while you swat at the midges and try to cook a meal on a tiny cooker in your cramped kitchen area.

Then you fancy popping down to the pub. Hmmm.... it's a bit too far to walk,  so first you have to pack away all your tables and chairs and get the washing up done and dried and stowed away securely. Once on your way, you soon have a convoy of cars trailing along behind you, because you are too big to overtake safely, then you arrive at the pub, and you have to take up three parking spaces. But don't worry - you're not really annoying anyone. When you eventually get back to the camp site, and drive through the other vans, waking up all the sleeping children, you find someone else has now parked in your spot and the only place left is next to the litter bins with the toilet block obscuring the view....

Clearly, from the large numbers of the things we have on our little roads here every summer, holidaying in a camper van is very popular, but please could someone explain - just what IS the appeal of this way of having a holiday??

5 comments:

drgeo said...

On the plus side, you never need to hurry because when you arrive late you can just say "Sorry, camper van." Then listen as everyone makes that commiserating noise.

Worcestershire Turnip said...

Spot on Richard. I can't see the point of the things and the fuel consumption is horrendous. And as they are too big for the roads in many of the most beautiful spots, I don't see the logic of going on holiday in one.

Anonymous said...

I agree completely Richard. I have never fathomed the use of these lumbering mobile monstrosities on ANY of the islands, and curse every time I get stuck behind one ( sometimes more) of the damn things.

Nick

Anonymous said...

I think what you are describing is a motorhome. I have a VW T5 campervan which drives like a car and can park in normal (even height restricted) car parks. It is a fantastic vehicle and perfect for family holidays.

Richard Dorrell said...

Hi Anonymous, Thank you for commenting on my blog. I acknowledge that some 'van conversion' camper vans/motorhomes (call them what you like) take up little more road space than a large car. But the vast majority of camper vans we see here on Skye seem to be getting bigger and bigger. Everyone has different ideas of what makes for a 'perfect' holiday. I express my own views and opinions in this blog, and I am publishing your comment because you have every right to disagree. I hope you enjoy some of my posts!