Sunday 21 April 2013

Allotment news - Brassica seeds planted

The diary aspect of this blog is useful for me to keep tabs on when I have done certain jobs, and keeping a record of what I've done in the allotment is especially useful.

Looking back at last year, I see that I am later this year at getting started on planting. The reason is that although we had a dry and sunny early spring, we were getting frost every night, and the ground was very cold. Things are warming up now though, and today I have planted the broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower seeds. They have gone straight into 3" pots this year, rather than being started seed trays, which I hope will help the plants by disturbing them less often, and help me by cutting out one of the transplanting tasks. The pots are all lined up on newly erected shelves in the shed window - pity I don't have a greenhouse...

Just for the record, the seeds I will be growing this year are:
  • Potatoes - Maris Peer
  • Broccoli - Autumn Spear
  • Brussels Sprouts - Crispus
  • Cabbage - Kilaxy
  • Carrot - Maestro
  • Cauliflower - Clapton
  • Cauliflower - Romanesco Early
  • Onion (sets) - Hercules
  • Swede - Invitiation
  • Broad Bean - Masterpiece
  • Runner Bean - St George
I also have a packet of mangetout peas - Oregon Sugar Pod - which I think were a free gift or something, but I'll see if I have room for them somewhere. Finally, I plan to try to grow a few salad leaves, though I think success there will depend on how much heavy rain we get!

4 comments:

Jill said...

That would be neat if the peas would grow for you. I remember, years ago, going on a tour of Dunvegan Castle and Gardens and hearing or reading that the planting zone or climate for growing things there, is similar to parts of the Northwest U.S.

Richard Dorrell said...

Yes Jill, the traditional crops here are root vegetables - potatoes, swede, turnip. Anything that produces a crop above the ground is at the mercy of the weather. Late spring frosts can kill growing leaves, and a summer storm can blow plants right out of the ground. But some years, we don't get that kind of weather at all, so it is sometimes possible to produce a wide range of vegetables.

Anonymous said...

All caught up now. Thanks for sharing your life on Skye with us. We were just there for a few days in our (small and not at all like those big white ones) campervan, and we did a drive round most of the north of the island, staying at campsites in Uig, Staffin and Kinloch at Dunvegan(!) We got chased by a Collie as we left the site at Staffin, but we think he was 'rounding up' the Hielan Coo on the front of the van :)

We're selling our house this year and had been looking to move further north, but I think we're pretty much decided on Skye now. Still at the VERY early stages of planning though.

It seems your weather is a lot like where we are, as we're quite exposed out on the Carse of Stirling.

We'll be following your blog from now, and look forward to hearing more about life on the Misty Isle.

Kath

Richard Dorrell said...

Hi MoKa - you've had a long read! I have browsed a little of your blog now too. Did I mention anywhere that in my former life I taught art/design and pottery for many years...??? So we have more than just Skye in common. Keep in touch and don't hesitate to ask if you think we might be able to help in any way with your relocation planning.