Friday 28 June 2013

Allotment News - All Growing Well !!


The long daylight hours in the 'Far North' at this time of year certainly encourage rapid growth of everything with roots. Thankfully, it is not just the grass and weeds that are putting on a spurt - the plants that I actually WANT to grow are also doing especially well. Contrast the picture below (taken this evening) with the one I posted on 18th May (copied again here).
This evening
18th May
The REALLY good news is that the brassicas are doing fine. They came on well in their individual pots, and I planted them out just two weeks ago today, giving them a dowsing with the 'Grow Your Own' nemetodes that I was hoping would combat the cabbage root fly. It would seem that the little nemetode bugs have done their job well, and munched their way through any fly eggs that have been laid - just about every plant looks healthy so far, and I have a second dose to give them in a day or two, to top up the protection.

Now I just need to keep on top of the weeding....

No comments: