Friday 23 January 2015

My Trip South

I am currently in Devon, enjoying short stays with long-time friends and family. After getting used to life on Skye, it is always a bit of a shock to come south and find myself in queues of traffic, and seeing crowds of people thronging along pavements in the towns!

The journey down was a bit of a challenge - we'd had a lot of snow...
A87 in Glen Cluanie
I had an overnight stop in Morecambe. I don't think I had ever visited the town before, but after a short wander round, I think I may have to visit again. I was impressed by the attempts at urban regeneration that are going on, and also at the amount of 'public art' that is to be found everywhere.
A Flock of Words
poems and snippets of prose set into a walkway between the railway station and seafront
Morecambe seafront (and more pavement art)
Bird sculpture on the seafront
I've been in Torquay this week. The weather has been raw, damp and grey - not really conducive to going out for walks. But I've had my usual shopping to do, so have popped by the sea front here a couple of times.
The Council are busy building new beach huts above Meadfoot Beach
I'm off to my sister's near Okehampton tomorrow for a couple of nights, then begin the trek back north. I may post some more pictures if I get the chance to take any!

No comments: