Wednesday 20 July 2016

First Time Ever...!!

Yesterday was the warmest day we have had on Skye this year - a very pleasant 24C in the afternoon, with wispy white clouds overhead. Additionally, I have been aware for a couple of weeks now, that we are almost completely midge-free at the moment. This was confirmed by spending a couple of hours cutting the grass wearing a short-sleeved tee shirt, and getting no bites at all.

So, come the evening, I rummaged in the garden shed and came out clutching an unused disposable barbecue that a visitor had left here a few years ago. A few minutes later, a match had been applied, and the thing seemed to began to light OK, so I set off to the freezer for a couple of burgers.

The little barbie didn't seem to be getting going too well - I'm sure the charcoal would have been damp - but I persevered, and sat happily in a cloud of smoke for about an hour, sipping a can of cider while my burgers gradually turned from pink to slightly less pink. I eventually gave up, and finished them off under the grill, but hey - this was the first time in all the years we have lived here that I have actually managed to have a barbecue, even if it wasn't an all-out success!

Chef at work!

No comments: