Saturday 19 February 2011

"TIMBER....!!! "

We have had no visitors at Aird View for several weeks now, so I visited the other day to check things over. With some dismay I found that the recent storm had brought down the old tree above the back garden. Part of the same tree came down about 5 years ago. This time, it is completely on its side. Trees in this state almost always carry on growing, but as it had spread itself across the lawn, some serious 'surgery' was required. What a good thing I had just bought myself a new chainsaw...!!!



Several hours and lots of hard work later.... 


I've left some large branches which by chance are pointing roughly upwards, so hopefully, the tree will regenerate itself and keep on growing for many years to come.

And finally, here's my little van ready to take some of the logs back to Roskhill where they will provide us with many cosy evenings by the stove in winter 2011.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lots of lovely free fuel Richard, can't be bad.
Ive recently been attacking some of our unwanted or patially blown over trees and have now gained quite a substantial wood pile, but the trouble is its not really dry enough to burn properly, maybe next year....
Nick

Richard Dorrell said...

Hi Nick, Yes, free fuel, but only after a lot of work! I have stacked my logs for next winter. I am sure I have read somewhere that burning freshly cut timber can be damaging to the stove or the chimney... something to do with acid and moisture content or sap I think. Must look that one up again!

Anonymous said...

I think that is true Richard, burning 'green' wood creates a resin that sticks to the flue liner and can become a fire hazard.

Nick
P.S. Nice to have the internet back!