Friday 9 September 2011

Boots on again!

Sue was home all day, so could look after Cupar. The sun was shining (on and off), so remembering to find my spare camera battery, I grabbed at the opportunity to get my boots on and head off into one of the more remote parts of Skye. Ever since we have lived here, I have looked at our nearby mountains, thinking 'I must get up them one day' and I am now proud to announce that I made it to the top of this one yesterday... (The hill is Healabhal Mhòr, also known as MacLeod's Table North. Click on any picture in this blog to see it full size).
It's not an especially high hill - about 450 metres - and it's mostly grassy but there were some pretty steep sections, so the sense of achievement is immense. And of course, the views from the top make the effort of getting there even more worthwhile.

Having clambered down the steep bits (which is harder on the knees than the climb up...) there's just the squelch back home over the moor. (That's Dunvegan in the distance).

8 comments:

Jill said...

Great pics, Richard! Yes, Steve and I have noticed that going uphill gives the old cardiovascular system a good workout and coming down tests our "shocks" or suspension. ;)

Wonder how windy it will get with the tropical storm remnants headed your way? Hope you've got the hatches battened down.

Richard Dorrell said...

Thanks Jill. I couldn't do the steep 'ups or 'downs without my hiking poles. Do you use them? Great when teetering on stepping stones when fording burns too (I had to cross the river in the first picture).

As for the wind - I think we are far enough north to be out of the worst of it. It's no more than normally breezy here so far today...

Jill said...

Aw well, glad to hear Skye won't have to endure gale-force winds then.

No, we don't have hiking poles (yet). I've encouraged Steve to find/make/buy a good, sturdy walking stick but he's not done so. I have a feeling you're doing more hill-climbing that we are though.

Richard Dorrell said...

I use the poles for pretty much all my walks. Even on level ground, they make a difference to how far you can walk before getting tired knees. They are great over uneven ground or thick vegetation, and essential in boggy ground when I use them to probe before I step! Using one stick is OK, but two is definitely better.

Jill said...

Totally different terrain here. If we were in Colorado (Steve says "the American Highlands" we might need those hiking poles.) Our soil is rather thin in this part of the county. Limestone caprock is just inches under the surface -- thus the raised bed veggie garden out back. Currently it's quite dusty on our local hiking trails. Record drought persists.

Richard Dorrell said...

Yes, I'm sure rock hard ground creates different walking challenges. Wouldn't mind a few days of drought here just now...

Jill said...

Just wanted to let you know that we hiked our usual trail today in the nature preserve near us and saw a guy using hiking poles! At least that's what I'm assuming they were. The poles reminded me somewhat of the ones that skiers use. Sound right?

Richard Dorrell said...

Hi Jill, Yes - hiking poles look much like ski sticks. Most are very lightweight, and are in three sections, with full adjustment for length - and can be shortened considerably for packing away.