Sunday 11 August 2013

New Best Friends



Sue is away again - for a full two weeks this time... She first went to the wedding of a cousin in Poland, and is now (as I type) on her way back to Kent where she will spend a while with her mum and catch up with a few of her friends 'down south'.

This leaves me on my own at the busiest time of our year. This weekend, I have completed the turn-rounds of all our cottages, and every one of them had a full compliment of visitors, making a total of eighteen people. The result is a significant  mountain of laundry to get washed - 13 duvet covers, 13 sheets, 36 pillow cases and 36 towels, plus an assortment of tea towels, dish cloths, and so on. It is thankfully quite unusual for us to be completely full like this. Pity it has happened to coincide with Sue's absence (or was her trip just cunning planning...???)

Today, new friend number one, the washing machine is already hard at work, and new friend number two, the iron, is bracing itself for some serious action. Fingers crossed the somewhat showery weather permits me to get all the washing dried without having to dash outside too often to beat the next downpour. But there's even a bright side to the showers - the rainbows are great!

2 comments:

Angel (Anjali Suzanne Angel) said...

Richard, I found your blog months ago and was happy to see that you and Sue admirably seem willing to strike up conversations with people like me who wish to live on Skye. I just saw your rhubarb--wouldn't you know, that is one question I had, as I would have missed my Rocky Mtn rhubarb. Once you remarked that you are willing to let long-term, although I admit it seemed a bit "dear" for me. I like Rowan Cottage tho--it looks like what I am looking for. Will be coming for the winter, as soon as my house closes (Sept 15-Oct 1?). Have big hopes of convincing the govt. that they should let me remain indefinitely. Meanwhile, can you tell me if snowshoes would get any use on Skye? BTW, yes, you need a new birdTUB! I have just started a blogspot blog "Angel on Skye" but mucho trouble figuring out how to hook my .com domain with blogger. I will be doing interviews with Skye folk--if they will trust a smiling American.Good luck with the ironing--whew!

Richard Dorrell said...

Hi Angel, Thank you for your comments, and it is good to know that you enjoy our blog. Rhubarb seems to like some spots and dislike others. Mine wouldn't grow where I first planted it, but flourishes now I've moved it. I have a friend on Skye who has never been able to grow rhubarb in her garden... Long let for winter? We might be able to do you a deal - please get in touch via my personal email - richarddorrell@aol.com. Snowshoes? No need for them here - we don't get a lot of snow at lower levels, and on the hills crampons are the kit of choice for the serious walkers. But for the amateur, it's best to stay off the hills when there is snow on them. Ironing mountain going down gradually.