Saturday 11 May 2019

Allotment News - Spring 2019

Gosh, it's been  a long time since I have updated this blog with a post about the Barn allotment!

I promise I haven't been ignoring the plot. It is as healthy as ever, though last spring we had a visitor in the shape of Mr Bunny who took a fancy to every fresh green shoot that appeared from the beans and peas - so we only really had root vegetables last year!

This spring, in wonderful weather, I have prepared all the beds and have now planted most of the seeds. There's nothing to see growing in the photos yet, but I'll post a couple below anyway. I might wait a while before planting the carrot seed, as it won't germinate if we don't get a bit of rain. Not often I find myself wishing for rain...!!!

This picture shows pretty much the entire allotment.
I must remind Sue to get busy and do something with some of that rhubarb!
This is the area I like to think of as the 'wild garden'.
It was VERY wild a few years ago, but tamer now. The blue is bluebells.
I have planted what will become a hedge between the allotment beds and the 'wild' part.
I've also planted some trees among the vegetation on the left.
Beyond that, is a virtually sheer drop of about 30 feet into the gorge of Roskhill River.
Our land extends to just beyond the gorse bushes.
It's just the main road and open moorland beyond our boundary.

This is looking towards the Barn from the gorse bushes in the 'wild garden'.
The little road that serves the few houses in Roskhill runs between the Barn and the allotment.
The Barn faces to the left, with its gable-end alongside the road.
The buildings behind the Barn are not ours.
Click on any picture in this blog to see it full-size.

No comments: