Sunday 29 April 2012

Allotment update

It's been such a perfect weekend's weather, so I completed the job of weeding the strawberry bed.

The plants were babies last year (taken from the huge, elderly and overgrown plants I inherited with the plot). So with luck, we should get a decent crop this year. If we do - they will be turned into jam as neither Sue or I are too fussed about eating fresh strawberries! If they don't crop well, then they'll be coming out, as they take up a fair bit of space, and are rather labour-intensive...

The big bed beyond the strawberries is destined to be the Brassica bed this year. Here they are in their seed trays in the cold frame. They have some growing to do... (can you spot which seeds were the cheap ones...)?

Finally, I decided to start the runner beans off in pots in the shed, as we are still getting overnight frosts at the moment. There's 10 of a dwarf variety, which I will plant in tubs. The rest are a tall variety, and I will grow them up poles - if we get a summer storm, I don't think they'll cope, but I reckon it's worth taking a chance.


No comments: