Saturday 27 November 2010

New van..!! (brrrrr...)

I was really disappointed with my Mercedes Vito. The Mercedes quality may have been evident in the quality of the furnishings in the cab, and with the equipment included as standard, but the thing was horrible to drive, developed faults too often (it had only done 65000 miles from new), and drank far too much diesel. Also - the radio was cr*p.

So, a new van now stands on the driveway. I've downsized - no need to carry lots of empty space around - and I have bought a one year old Citroen Berlingo. This one has the 92bhp engine (more powerful than the Vito...) and the 'SX' trim, which gives me two (squashed) passenger seats, with a clever folding arrangement for carrying long loads, and a sliding rear door (but just one - I would have preferred one each side).

In the 800 miles I've driven it so far, it's doing around 52mpg.... now that's more like it! It's also a little cracker to drive! I've got the 200 XMF number plate transferred. Just need to get some SkyeHolidays sign-writing organised now!

Here's the van today...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

New van looks nice Richard, hope you got some snow chains with it...

Nick

Richard Dorrell said...

The van is great Nick (and the radio works properly..) As for snow chains - I have to say I am impressed with the Berlingo's ability to scrabble its way up slopes in the snow and ice - the Vito was rear wheel drive, and completely useless in such conditions.