Thursday 19 May 2011

Allotment Impatience

I have almost all of the ground in the allotment planted now. The weeds had not reappeared  much over the winter, so preparing the ground was easy. The potatoes went in first, and are growing well. Every one of them has come up.  The onion sets are all  looking good too - only about three have failed to sprout.

Elsewhere, most things are barely poking a leaf above the soil. I find myself on my hands and knees looking for the first sign of a carrot leaf or a shooting runner bean.... today, I excitedly spotted that the swedes are showing - just two little seed-leaves to each baby plant. Just think about how big they will grow over the next six months!

To be fair - the brussels sprouts and broccoli are all six inches tall or more - but they were started in pots, and have only been put in the ground today, each one tied to a stake in an attempt to prevent them being broken by the wind.

This year, I have been offered the use of some land on a nearby building plot to grow a few more veggies. It's only about three miles from Roskhill, but the soil is very different - being clay. I'm going to try the sprouts, broccoli and cabbages over there, as they were not very successful here last year. It will be interesting to see which location suits the plants the best.

No comments: