Friday 27 May 2011

Soggy spring

Does bad weather ever make you miserable? You are not alone...

I'm copying below a short section of an email received yesterday from a friend who has lived on Skye for many years, and who tries to be as self sufficient as possible.

"There are really no words to describe the awfulness of the weather, so think I'll pass on that one and hope like me you have enough things to do inside to take your mind off the otherwise unbearably depressing effect of watching everthing outside either shrivel and blacken in the wind or keel over with the weight of the water attacking it from the top as well as at the roots..... Things here are so badly battered now that they will never fully recover, even if we were to get a heat wave as from to-morrow, it's this learning to be accepting no matter what, that I find hardest, and don't expect I'll ever fully master it, or perhaps even want too if it comes to that ! "

Yes, it can be tough. I will be re-planting some of my allotment too. It was disastrous harvests and subsequent famines that drove many of the residents to leave Skye in the 18th century.

No comments: