Saturday 5 May 2012

Allotment news

I've planted two rows of carrots and a row of swede this afternoon.

I have to marvel at the miracle of nature when I plant tiny seeds in the ground. No sooner than the seeds have dropped from my fingers, they are lost in the soil. Then, nature takes over. The tiny seed knows what it has to do, and it simply does its thing. In a few weeks, I will be pulling up some of the little plants that grow, because they will be too close together to produce good, big carrots and swedes.

Fantastic!

I also potted-up the sprout plants today. They were getting a bit 'leggy' in the cold frame, so now they are out in the sun (yes... sun...!!) so that they can get established in their pots. I'll pot up the cabbages and broccoli soon, as they are ready too.

Next year, I think I should plant the seed directly into pots, to cut out this stage, saving time for me and stress for the plants.


It's hard to believe that in a few months, these fragile spindly seedlings will have become sturdy 3-feet tall sprout plants, with stems an inch thick and too tough to cut with a knife!!

No comments: