Saturday 19 February 2022

DorrellPots Creaks Into Life

It's a start - a slow one, but a start. Since our garden room 'Potting Shed' became a viable workshop, I have gradually gathered together a collection of pottery making tools plus other odds and ends. The kiln is installed, and has had its initial (empty) firing, recommended for new kilns. I am still short of a few items, but have at last squished a bit of clay, and can now introduce you to Pot-The-Pig - the first clay item I have made in some 25 years.

Pot-The-Pig still awaits final fettling and a glaze of some kind.

But for now, mostly. I am still getting 'ready'. I have made a few (rather poor) plaster-of-paris moulds, with which I would hope to easily produce some plates and bowls. I clearly need to work more on my mould-making technique. I also need to find a bulk supplier of powdered plaster - it is expensive to buy in small quantities. I haven't bought any glazes yet, either...!

Here's the production corner of the worktop as it looks today. You can see I have also made a small model of Puss the Jaguar. I might tackle a larger and more accurate one at some time.

Pots and moulds

Looking busier!



1 comment:

witomski said...

Really admire Pot-The-Pig…..you have a unique style. Can’t wait to see the finished work.