Friday 20 August 2021

SUE'S SECOND SPONSORED STROLL

 Yep, I did it again and for that amazing Charity
so close to my heart -  Cancer Research!

Readers of this blog may recall that back in July 2018 
I tackled a 26 mile marathon around Roskhill - where we live on Skye.
This time I increased this to 30 miles for the day 
and really enjoyed both the training AND the occasion itself.....:)
Below are a few photos taken along the route of the 11.5 hour trek!!


It was a rather gloomy morning hence the above 'moody' photograph
of Dunvegan Churchyard.  Lovely floral arrangement though .....:)


........ and a very unusual plant base in the one above 
situated at the end of the village opposite the
Free Church of Scotland.   Very eyecatching though.


Above is the township of Roag in the distance - 
but can you also spot the small flock of geese in the foreground?


A favourite walk from Roskhill has always been the 
Harlosh Loop - from which the above shot was taken.
It was still cloudy at the time but began to brighten up a bit later.....


... but in the meantime I happened upon this bank of amazing 
wild flowers including my favourite 'meadowsweet' which 
has a wonderfully aromatic scent....  :)
The beautiful purple flower is Hedge Woundwort.


      Above is a view across to Macleods Tables from Harlosh.   
The blue skies were starting to make an appearance by then....


My friend Sue joined me for part of the Roag section!
We had a real laugh! 
It was Sue who joined me back in 2018 doing the Harlosh Loop together.


From Roag my walk took in the moorland across to the Glendale 
Road and then an amble down to the end of Uiginish 
where I sat for a breather and took the photo below....


.... which shows the view across to Dunvegan Castle and the woodland
surrounding it.  By then the weather had really cheered up.


By 2.30 p.m. it was definitely lunchtime though!!
Collapsing on the bench just along the road from the
Dunvegan Camp Site -  it was very pleasant taking in 
the above view across Loch Dunvegan whilst 
chomping away on peanut butter sandwiches and fruit!!


A complete change of scenery followed as having walked through
Dunvegan village, I then took the footpath through the 
woods and up out onto moorland the other side.  
By then the weather was even brighter and it was hot too!!


Love this view of the monkey puzzle tree looking across 
to one of Macleods Tables  - 
plus the one below of the snaking track across the moorland 
from the tree by the gateway onto the A850.


By then I was well and truly on the 'home straight' but not 
without taking a photograph of the river running across the moor
with Macleods Tables in the background....:)


Thirty minutes after taking the above photo 
I was back home clutching a very welcome LARGE mug of tea!
It had been a very long day but the magnificent scenery and sheer joy 
of walking through it - plus the terrific Cause for which this trek had been done 
made it all absolutely worthwhile !

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW - you made that sound easy, but I am astounded that you walked 30 miles in a day. I used to run, and a marathon was always a bucket list item. I'd given that up as lost, but now that I read this post, hmmm.
How does one train for a 26 mile walk? Fascinating. Sandi